How does quality fotwear affect child development?16. 09. 2022.
THE IMPORTANCE OF QUALITY FOOTWEAR
Since inadequate footwear is one of the important factors and causes of foot deformities, it is necessary to take care of buying the right footwear for the first steps. The best footwear for the proper development of a child’s foot is bare feet, and for a child learning to walk, it is recommended that he be barefoot as much as possible and play barefoot. It is most natural to walk barefoot on uneven surfaces such as sand or grass, because walking barefoot promotes the proper development of foot muscles and stimulates nerve endings. However, since this is not possible for most of the year in our climate, we can buy children’s first shoes even before they can fully walk. Due to weather conditions, hard surfaces and lifestyle, footwear becomes an inevitable and important factor in the development of healthy feet, especially during the first steps, and it is shoes that protect the feet from external influences, injuries and cold.
Good footwear implies the following characteristics:
- Spaciousness: children’s feet grow extremely fast, so when choosing shoes, we must make sure that the shoes are big enough in the front part, so that the toes can move freely. We recommend that the shoes are also wide enough so that they do not press on the delicate child’s foot. If the shoes are narrow at the front, the toes will change their position and go over each other. Very stiff footwear will “trap” the foot, so the muscles will not be active.
- Flexibility: a flexible sole, good flexibility on the toes and a soft upper part of the shoe are the basic indicators of a good shoe. It is also essential that the shoes are made of natural materials to ensure breathability and greater comfort.
- Most children have wide feet. When buying shoes, you should make sure that the shoes you bought for your children are wide enough and do not squeeze them. If the footwear is not adequate, foot deformation may occur.
- Newborns should never be put in shoes made of rigid materials. Shoes made of materials that “breathe” are an ideal choice for them. (cotton, wool, soft leather without a hard sole…).
- There should always be a gap between the child’s longest toe and the shoe. Your child may not be able to tell you that his shoe is too tight, but you as a parent should notice.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SHOES?
A child’s foot is extremely soft in its early stages, and wearing small and tight shoes during this period can lead to improper growth of bones, muscles and ligaments, which leads to permanent problems in the development of the feet. When it comes time to buy children’s shoes, it is important to pay attention that the shoe has:
- appropriate size : the shoe must not press any part of the foot. The front part should be wide enough so that the toes can move freely, but not too wide because the foot must not swing or slip out of the shoe.
- appropriate height : the shoe should be high enough to keep the ankle in the correct position, except when this is not possible due to weather conditions.
- flexible sole : the sole must be flexible and the upper part must be made of soft leather. It is also important that the sole is not smooth, and that the child does not slip when he starts walking.
- anatomical shape : provides comfort, protection and gentle support to the foot. Anatomic shoes are not orthopedic shoes, because they do not treat foot irregularities.
- insole made of soft and natural material : for extra comfort when walking. The insole should be designed to provide the foot with the necessary breathability and flexibility when walking.
- softness and breathability : made of natural materials that allow the feet to breathe.
- low heel : in order to distribute the body weight evenly over the entire foot.
Footwear Dr. Luigi meets all the above conditions, and from a health point of view, they represent a top product and an optimal choice in health protection and child care. First of all, our shoes are comfortable and have soft soles so as not to restrict the movements of the feet. Perhaps the most important feature is that the shoes and slippers are made of natural materials with guaranteed harmlessness and the absence of harmful chemical compounds that are often used in the process of material processing, dyeing and footwear production. Since the child’s foot sweats significantly more, wearing Dr. Luigi breathable shoes, the child’s foot “breathes” and does not encourage sweating. In addition, good hygiene can be maintained – especially the internal part. In practice, it has been proven that machine washing shoes is the best and safest way to maintain hygiene. As children are extremely motorically active, footwear must be durable and resistant to deformation and mechanical damage. It is equally important that they do not have elements that could represent a mechanical hazard (slippery, falling off of certain decorative parts). A guarantee in the form of possession of a European quality certificate, which categorizes footwear as a medical product, represents an extremely important element in protecting children’s health and their undisturbed growth and development.
Healthy feet develop with appropriate footwear. Give your little ones healthy steps into the future. Children’s footwear should meet orthopedic standards in order for the foot to develop properly. It is best to buy shoes in specialized stores for children’s shoes. It is best to do it in the afternoon, because during the day the feet increase by approximately 4%, that is, they lengthen and expand. It is necessary to choose stores where there are measuring tools that will accurately measure the length of the foot. And finally, it is always necessary to measure both feet because often one foot is slightly longer than the other. A quality choice of footwear is important for all ages, because the correct choice of shoes enables proper and natural development of the feet.